Student Property Manager
|Location||Johannesburg, South Africa|
|Employment Type||Full Time|
|Experience||3 to 5 years|
|Remuneration||R18 000 to R22 000|
|Remuneration Type||Cost to company|
- Property Law
The student property manager is responsible for the overall management of student buildings portfolio and supervises the day-to-day activities of the management of the building and staff.
The property manager will assist the portfolio manager with recruits, trains and supervises the on-site managers in leasing and maintenance operations. The manager will make weekly site visits to inspect the properties to ensure routine and preventative maintenance are being performed and to oversee any capital improvement projects. The manager inspects all vacant units with the on-site staff and provides guidance for repairs and improvements.
This person establishes policies and guidelines for leasing and administering the properties and ensuring the onsite effectively implement them. A successful manager in this role should have extensive experience in property management, including apartment repairs and renovations.
This person should have a strong background in leasing and marketing apartments as well as the laws (Landlord-Tenant laws, rental housing tribunal, etc.), rental policies and best practices governing all aspects of student management. A successful manager should be customer service oriented and have strong communication skills, both verbal and written. This person must be mature, responsible, organized and capable of coordinating multiple tasks.
Marketing & Leasing:
- Work with on-site managers to determine pricing, deposits, concessions;
- Assist in creating and executing a marketing plan for each property as necessary
- Create and execute marketing plans for new property lease-ups, hire and train staff to manage new developments.
- Provide an updated list of vacancies and coordinate leasing efforts
- Work with on-site managers to identify property selling features
- Work with on-site managers to place signage and advertising
- Work with managers to stagger lease terms and renew leases
- Coordinate with staff to conduct residential property market rent research, lease renewals strategies, and rent increases.
- Inspect vacant units, determine improvements, oversee turnovers;
- Inspect all properties for ongoing maintenance needs;
- Perform annual inspections of all units with on-site managers;
- Oversee annual window and grounds cleaning;
- Oversee preparations summer and winter seasons;
- Plan and oversee capital improvements, e.g. painting, carpeting, etc.
- Order new appliances and update the computer database;
- The student property manager is responsible for directing, supervising, and monitoring the activities of student property portfolio personnel on a day-to-day basis. This includes creating and implementing policies and procedures based on industry standards and creating related training documents for the staff.
- The property manager will be responsible for training, developing and coaching these staff members.
The Property Manager has the responsibility to assist the Portfolio Manager to analyze and make recommendations regarding:
- Property staffing needs;
- Property personnel performance issues;
- Property personnel salary administration/benefits/compensation;
- Personnel promotions, demotions, terminations;
- Property personnel training and career development;
The student portfolio manager is responsible for preparing and conducting performance evaluations for the student property staff members.
- Train on-site managers to use property management software;
- Train on-site managers to use the screening program;
- Train on-site managers to use water metering program;
- Train on-site managers on Fair Housing and Landlord Tenant lawsRecruit, hire and train new on-site managers as needed;
- Create and modify student property portfolio processes, procedures, and associated manuals.
Administration, Accounting & Collections
- Update leasing and property management forms;
- Review accounting and collections with credit controller & on-site managers;
- Monitor portfolio rent rolls, lease expirations, delinquency reports, and other reports required by the owners;
- Daily, Weekly, Monthly arrears reporting with Credit controller to ensure collections % in line with company requirements;
- Expand and improve the network of maintenance vendors;
- Improve lease file organization, equipment organization, key control;
- Improve response times for maintenance, emergencies, and lockouts;
- Review performance evaluations with on-site managers;
- Ensure timely and accurate reporting to the owners;
- Assist the Portfolio Manager with yearly budgets